So last week, I announced the Spring Reset which is essentially the The 21-Day Sugar Detoxcreated by Diane Sanfilippo. I decided I wanted to share my thoughts and experiences on the blog, so here is the Spring Reset Week One recap.
I went into the spring reset wanting to clean my diet up a bit. I already eat pretty clean as it is, but I just wanted to reign in my wine drinking and cheese consumption. This is actually the longest I’ve ever gone without dairy (with the exception of a minor slip up on Saturday), which is a pretty big deal for me. I actually had a DREAM about eating a delicious cheese platter mid-week and woke up craving cheese like no other. Thank goodness this will be over by the time I go to France! And while I do miss my glass of wine, I do feel pretty fancy with some frozen fruit and sparkling water in a wine glass.
- Not having fruit is hard for me. The 21 Day Sugar Detox states NO fruit except green tipped bananas and green apples. I’ve been having a banana in my smoothies, and I’m not the biggest apple fan and miss my berries like crazy. I do eat a ton of fruit so it’s a good practice in moderation, but I can’t wait to have strawberries and blueberries back in my life.
- I don’t miss grains as much as I thought I would. I already eat a very primal-inspired diet so eliminating my gluten-free bread hasn’t been a HUGE deal, and when I want something carb-y I go for one of the coconut/almond flour recipes from the 21 DSD book.
- It’s expensive! I already eat a ton of meat (#carnivore), but with the elimination of dairy and fruit as some of my go-to snacks, I’ve been turning to meat more and more. I love meat as much as the next girl, but I’m pretty sure the people at Sprouts know me by name now.
- I miss dairy. I really like having some Greek yogurt or string cheese as an afternoon snack, and I miss that. However, Greek yogurt doesn’t always sit the best in my stomach, so maybe it’s better I take a break from it for a bit. I did accidentally have a bit of dairy in the form of some whey protein in my smoothie and sour cream in some mashed potatoes, but the potatoes were too damn good to pass up.
- I’m having fun creating new recipes! The other night I made chicken in an almond butter sauce, and the Englishman and I grilled some salmon over the weekend. Now granted, a glass of rose would’ve been nice with the salmon but I digress.
Overall it’s been an interesting experiment and while my digestion still isn’t 100% yet, I’m hoping that will improve as I head into week two. I should also note that I am following the “energy modifications” in the program since I do workout a lot/do crossfit, and making sure to get plenty of starchy veggies in the form of sweet potatoes, butternut squash and red potatoes.
On to week two!